Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Looking way up

My friend Alex sent me this CD in a small package that arrived today. The album is called Morning Song, by Don Menza Septet. Recorded in Munich, 1965. This song is called Devil's Disciples.



My slippers reappeared mysteriously in the same place I left them yesterday when I took them off to leave work. No explanation. Fishy.

On top of that, I just got a letter and some gifts from Alex, sent from Taiwan. He's the type of person who will bring you a gift not only when entering your home for the first time, but literally everytime you hang out just so he doesn't "leave you empty handed" as he told me once.

He included a notebook with this written on the front: "Concentrate on a single delight: a sound, and experience or concept- you are well on the way to experiencing the pleasure of it."

There's always a lot of quotes in Alex's letters, my favorite one this time round is also the one without a name attached to it. So I'm not quite sure who said this:

"I WANT NO MORE than to speak simply, to be granted that grace.
Because we've loaded even our songs with so much music that they're slowly sinking
and we've decorated our art so much that its features have been eaten away by gold
and it's time to say our few words because tomorrow the soul sets sail."

I'm really connecting with the speak simply and concentrate on a single delight parts right now.

No comments: